Crops for the Future
Nebraska Farm Bill Education Meeting
Monday, December 1
9:00 - 11:30 am - Knights of Columbus Hall, Hartington
1:30 - 4:00 pm - Bloomfield Community Center, Bloomfield
Program will review 2014 Farm Bill commodity program details, sign-up procedures, and analysis and decision tools.
Farm Market Reports
Cedar County Private Pesticide Training Sessions
All training sessions are complete for 2014, if needing a license you will need to complete a self-study course, otherwise, please check back in January 2015 for next training sessions.
Pesticide Safety Education Programs (PSEP) are required for individuals applying a restricted use pesticide (RUP) for the purpose of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by him/her or his/her employer.
NE District 2014 Pesticide Training Dates Brochure
For a list of all private training locations by county, look online at: Private Locations
For a list of commercial/noncommercial training locations, look online at: Commercial Locations
To view the biannual "Pesticide & Noxious Weed Newsletter" produced by the Nebraska Department of Agiculture, click here.
2014 Chemigation Training Schedule
Chemigation - applying agrichemicals to cropland using an irrigation system to distribute both the water and chemical. Please contact the county Extension Office inwhich the training is being held to preregister. An online course is also available for those recertifying.
Farm Cash Rental Rates and Land Values
2014 Nebraska Cash Rental Rates
2014 Nebraska Farmland Values
from Nebraska Farm Real Estate Market Development 2013-2014
For the complete Nebraska Farm Real Estate Market report click here.
Interview with Jim Jansen covering the highlights of 2014 Nebraska Farmland Values (*mp3)
You can also visit the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service for a Nebraska map with cash rental rates for irrigated, dryland, and pasture, by clicking here.
Cash Farm Lease (revised 2011)
Crop-Share Farm Lease (revised 2011)
Pasture Lease (revised 2011)
Farm Building & Livestock Facility Lease
Livestock Rental Lease
For more information about these and other leases, visit http://AgLease101.org
Every two years a survey of custom operators is conducted to determine the current rates charged for specific machinery operations. The survey is divided into two parts. Part 1 includes the spring and summer operations such as planting and small grains harvest, and Part 2 includes information about fall and miscellaneous operations.
Adjusting Farm Custom Rates & Grain Storage Rental Rates for 2011
Grain Storage Costs & Rental Rates
Flood Resources for Crops & Cropland
Land Owners & Managers Update
DVD provides practical information and strategies to help land owners, managers, and farm operators understand the recent trends in land values, rental rates, family relations, contracts, and flexible cash leasing. For more information or to order your DVD click here.
What topics in CropWatch are most helpful to your farm or agribusiness? What topics would you like to see more information on? Take our reader survey by Dec. 19 and you could win a Crop Production Clinic registration or five 2015 Weed Guides. Go to Survey
December 5, 2014
The Nebraska On-Farm Research Network is launching a new project focused on improving the efficiency of nitrogen fertilizer use. Project SENSE (Sensors for Efficient Nitrogen Use and Stewardship of the Environment) will implement 20 on-farm research sites each year over the next three years.
Richard Ferguson, UNL Extension Soil Specialist, is leading the project which will focus on crop canopy sensors to direct variable-rate, in-season nitrogen application in corn. See more on Project SENSE in the Farm Research section of CropWatch. If you're interested in participating in this or another on-farm research project, contact Laura Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-624-8033. Read more.
- Selecting Corn Hybrids for Silage. You know what to look for when choosing corn hybrids for grain — yield, standability, maturity, and pest resistance — but what should you look for in silage? It may not be what you think.
- Dec. 5 Market Journal: Soybean Prices, Effects of Crude OIl Supply, 2015 Crop Budgets, and the Forecast for Next Week
Programs & Resources
- Nebraska Extension Seminars at Dec. 9-11 Farm Power Show. Learn more about UAVs, the farm bill, cover crops and more
- UNL and FSA are Hosting Farm Bill Meetings across the state to provide key information for program selection.
- Free Farm Finance and Legal Aid Clinics in December. Confidential meetings with an ag law attorney or ag financial counselor.
- Farm Bill Decision Tool Workshops at Alliance, Sidney, Scottsbluff starting Dec. 1. Seating limited to 10 per site so register early.
- Field Assessments to Improve Efficiency -- Workshops being held in eastern Nebraska Dec. 8-11. Calculate your fieldprint for 8 key indicators.
- Nebraska Soybean Day and Machinery Expo Dec. 18 in Wahoo. University and industry speakers and commercial exhibits.
- Postponed: Ag Financial Health Check-Ups in Bridgeport and Scottsbluff. How well are you positioned to cover liabilities in 2015? Bring your records and your questions.
- UNL Crop Production Clinics Slated for January. High impact training for ag professionals and research updates for Nebraska cropping systems and pest management strategies.
Making A Difference
Impact Summary Reports
- UNL Extension Impact Report
- Beef Systems
- 4-H Impact Report
- The Learning Child
- Guardianship / Conservator Training Program
- Agricultural Economics
- Cropping Systems Productivity
- Crop / Plant Science - Youth Education
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Agriculture Water Management
- Animal Manure Management
- Water, Climate & Environment - Community
- Business Ventures and Innovation
- Nebraska Broadband Initiative
- Entrepreneurial Communities
- ESI and Beyond
Provides current grain/livestock market commentary and analysis; weather, climate, and soil moisture updates; practical advice from seasoned, working producers; and more.
View entire episodes or search for answers to your plant, yard, and insect problems. Watch Backyard Farmer live on NET1 April to mid September (Thursday, 7:00 pm CT).
Audio and video interviews with University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension specialists and educators on topics ranging from crop and livestock production to health and nutrition to lawn and garden care, and more.