Crops for the Future
Nebraska Farm Bill Education Meeting
Monday, December 1
9:00 - 11:30 am - Knights of Columbus Hall, Hartington
1:30 - 4:00 pm - Bloomfield Community Center, Bloomfield
Program will review 2014 Farm Bill commodity program details, sign-up procedures, and analysis and decision tools.
Farm Market Reports
Cedar County Private Pesticide Training Sessions
All training sessions are complete for 2014, if needing a license you will need to complete a self-study course, otherwise, please check back in January 2015 for next training sessions.
Pesticide Safety Education Programs (PSEP) are required for individuals applying a restricted use pesticide (RUP) for the purpose of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by him/her or his/her employer.
NE District 2014 Pesticide Training Dates Brochure
For a list of all private training locations by county, look online at: Private Locations
For a list of commercial/noncommercial training locations, look online at: Commercial Locations
To view the biannual "Pesticide & Noxious Weed Newsletter" produced by the Nebraska Department of Agiculture, click here.
2014 Chemigation Training Schedule
Chemigation - applying agrichemicals to cropland using an irrigation system to distribute both the water and chemical. Please contact the county Extension Office inwhich the training is being held to preregister. An online course is also available for those recertifying.
Farm Cash Rental Rates and Land Values
2014 Nebraska Cash Rental Rates
2014 Nebraska Farmland Values
from Nebraska Farm Real Estate Market Development 2013-2014
For the complete Nebraska Farm Real Estate Market report click here.
Interview with Jim Jansen covering the highlights of 2014 Nebraska Farmland Values (*mp3)
You can also visit the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service for a Nebraska map with cash rental rates for irrigated, dryland, and pasture, by clicking here.
Cash Farm Lease (revised 2011)
Crop-Share Farm Lease (revised 2011)
Pasture Lease (revised 2011)
Farm Building & Livestock Facility Lease
Livestock Rental Lease
For more information about these and other leases, visit http://AgLease101.org
Every two years a survey of custom operators is conducted to determine the current rates charged for specific machinery operations. The survey is divided into two parts. Part 1 includes the spring and summer operations such as planting and small grains harvest, and Part 2 includes information about fall and miscellaneous operations.
Adjusting Farm Custom Rates & Grain Storage Rental Rates for 2011
Grain Storage Costs & Rental Rates
Flood Resources for Crops & Cropland
Land Owners & Managers Update
DVD provides practical information and strategies to help land owners, managers, and farm operators understand the recent trends in land values, rental rates, family relations, contracts, and flexible cash leasing. For more information or to order your DVD click here.
Oct. 3-10, 2014
indicates stories added week of Oct. 10.
- Avoiding Compaction at Harvest. 10 tips to avoid compaction of wet soils and how to use controlled wheel traffic to minimize compaction.
- Harvesting, Drying, Storing Late-Maturing, High-Moisture Corn (NDSU)
- UNL Grain Storage Management Resource Links
- Quality and Handling of the 2014 Iowa Crop, updated Oct. 2. (ISU Integrated Crop Management News, external link)
- Information on Grain Drying and Storage (NDSU external link)
- Insect Management Recommendations for On Farm Stored Grain (MU external link)
- Grazing Corn Residue: A Win-Win for Crop and Cattle Producers. Two multi-year UNL studies show how cattle grazing corn stalks can provide extra income without hurting -- and sometimes improving -- yields the next year.
- How Herbicide Labels Restrict Using Cover Crops as Forage. Grazing cover crops or harvesting them for forage may not be allowed, depending on pesticides previously applied to the field. Penalties for misuse may be severe.
- Steps to Avoid Grain Bin Entrapment. Each year in Nebraska one to three people die from grain entrapment and many more put themselves in critical near-death situations. See steps to improve your safety and a video on how to install and use a lifeline harness.
- Nebraska Weather Update (10/7)
- Nebraska's Weather Outlook through Mid-October. Al Dutcher shares his forecast through mid-October and a tally of who saw how much rain this week.
- Five Myths of Ag Landlord Rights. Misunderstandings can arise between landlord and tenant over rights and responsibilities not clearly spelled out in the lease.
- Beginning Farmer Numbers Grow in Nebraska. Dave Goeller examines the number of farmers and ranchers in various age categories in Nebraska and shares insights on why the beginning farmer trend is changing.
- Ag Finance and Legal Assistance Clinics in October. Counsel from an ag law attorney and/or an ag financial counselor.
- Controlling Winter Annuals in Alfalfa this Fall. Weed control this fall can stop winter annuals before they rob valuable moisture and nutrients.
- View video segments, including discussions on UNL cover crop research, drying and storing grain, Nebraska's dairy industry, a market analysis, and forecast.
- View video segments, including analysis of USDA grain stocks report, current cattle and hog inventories, and how climate change is going to affect ag production right here in Nebraska. (Oct. 3)
- SARE Grants for Farmer Research and Youth Education. Apply now for one of these two programs supporting research and education of sustainable agricultural production in Nebraska.
- New UNL Class on Soybean Breeding for Disease Resistance. The class covers effects of oomycete disease (water molds), a group of pathogens including Phytophthora sojae. Phytophthora root rot causes the second largest yield loss behind soybean cyst nematodes.
- UNL Extension Crop Reports from Across the State (10/7)
- USDA Crop Forecast for Nebraska and U.S. If realized, this will be the highest corn yield and production on record for the United States.
- USDA NASS: Crop Progress and Condition (10/1)
- USDA NASS: Crop Progress and Condition (10/6)
- USDA NASS: Nebraska Winter Wheat Production up 78%
- USDA NASS: Sept. 1 Nebraska Grain Stocks (9/30 report)
Making A Difference
Impact Summary Reports
- UNL Extension Impact Report
- Beef Systems
- 4-H Impact Report
- The Learning Child
- Guardianship / Conservator Training Program
- Agricultural Economics
- Cropping Systems Productivity
- Crop / Plant Science - Youth Education
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Agriculture Water Management
- Animal Manure Management
- Water, Climate & Environment - Community
- Business Ventures and Innovation
- Nebraska Broadband Initiative
- Entrepreneurial Communities
- ESI and Beyond
Provides current grain/livestock market commentary and analysis; weather, climate, and soil moisture updates; practical advice from seasoned, working producers; and more.
View entire episodes or search for answers to your plant, yard, and insect problems. Watch Backyard Farmer live on NET1 April to mid September (Thursday, 7:00 pm CT).
Audio and video interviews with University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension specialists and educators on topics ranging from crop and livestock production to health and nutrition to lawn and garden care, and more.